The city is adjacent to Vandenberg Air
Force Base (VAFB), one of the nation’s
premier launch facilities. VAFB provides
Lompoc with just over 6,700 jobs, being
one of Lompoc’s largest employers.
Situated right in the heart of the Central
Coast, on Lompoc’s coastline, is
headquarters for the 30th Space Wing,
Vandenberg Air Force Base.
For more information, please visit Vandenberg Air Force Base
- Established in 1941 as an Army Training
Base, Camp Cooke, it was soon converted
to Vandenberg Air Force Base in 1958 as a
premier launch facility.
- VAFB is a major player in Lompoc’s
Economy as it is the largest employer for the
residents of Lompoc.
- Contributes approximately $1.7 billion to the
- Vandenberg Air Force Base provides space
capabilities, missile warning and launch and
- VAFB provides the City of Lompoc with
- It also produces quality space operator
graduates through its Air Force Space
Training undergraduate courses.
- On January 19, 2016 the 533rd Training
Squadron graduated twelve new officers that
focused on space operations and technical
training for future space missions.
- In 2014, VAFB employment rates were
approximately 6,700 which included 2,700
military, 1,200 Civil Service, 2,800 NonAppropriated
Fund/Contractors. VAFB also
serves 3,000 military dependents, and 8,000
local area retirees.