Why is my water bill high?
Water leaks can waste surprisingly large amounts of water.
During the winter months, if your family uses over 3 units of water for each person in your household or if your water usage (bill) has suddenly increased, do the following:
Read your water meter. Has the bill been misread? (No matter how careful and how good a meter reader is, mistakes happen. And yes, your water meter is read every month. The meter reader does not guess at your usage.) Subtract the last meter read on your bill from the read you just took (for billing purposes the last two right hand numbers are not used to calculate your usage.) Remember, by the time you get your bill, one to two weeks will have passed, and you must allow for the extras days. If you think that your meter was read too high, call 875-8246 to have your bill adjusted.
If your usage is still high, look for a water leak. The best way to determine if there is a leak is to use your meter. While you are looking at the meter, when no water is being used on your property, note if the clock-like hand moves. If it does, you have a leak. If the hand does not move, mark the position of the hand and do not use water for Ĺ hour. At the end of the Ĺ hour, check to see if the dial has moved. Some leaks are so slow that you do not see dial movement right away.You may call 875-8252 for assistance on looking for an unseen leak.
How much water does a leak waste?
|Leak Size||Situation||Annual Loss||Annual Cost|
|Drip (10 drops per minute)||Dripping Faucet||694 gallons||$2.16|
|1/4 gallon per minute||Running Toilet||131,400 gallons||$374|
|1 gallon per minute||Leaky pipe||525,600 gallons||$1496|
Fix the leak as soon as possible. Not only does it waste water and money, the City of Lompoc has in effect, a water waste ordinance that says that any leak must be repaired within 8 hours after it is discovered.
Too good to waste: is your home water efficient?
How do I request a water audit of my home?
Call 875-9298 or 875-8252
- Are the toilets and appliances in your home water efficient? The City offers rebates for the purchase of 1.6 gallon per flush toilets, Energy Star dishwashers and Energy Star clothes washers.
- Put bathroom trash in the wastebasket instead of flushing it down the toilet.
- Put water in the refrigerator for drinking instead of running the faucet until it gets cold.
- Sweep, donít hose driveways.
- Run the clothes washer and dishwasher with full loads.
- Do not let the water run continuously when doing household tasks. Do not thaw meat or other frozen foods under running water. Instead, defrost food overnight in the refrigerator or use the defrost setting on your microwave. Remind all family members to turn the water on and off when brushing their teeth, when dad is shaving, or when washing vegetables.
- Kitchen sink disposals require lots of water to operate properly. Start a compost pile as an alternate method of disposing of food waste instead of using a garbage disposal.
Can you think of other ways to save water in your home? Call 875-8252 with your suggestions. They will be included on this page and you will receive a free 5 Minute Shower Timer for your ideas.
How to have a water efficient landscape
Adjust sprinkler timers for each season. Call 875-8252 for a lawn water guide or brochure on low water using plants for our area.
Replace high water using landscape water wise plants, mulch and irrigation equipment. Rebates up to $1000 available for pre-approved projects, call 875-8252 for mor information.