Before You Apply for a BTC

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
If you have any questions after reviewing this web page, please contact the City Clerk's Office at (805) 875-8241 or 875-8233 to discuss the details of your particular business.

If your business is located outside the City, you must first process the proper forms from the City Clerk's Office in order to conduct business within the City limits.

If your business is located within the City limits in a commercial area, inquire with the Planning Division about zoning requirements for your type of business and planned location. Obtain a pre-connection check-list and Fire Department Business Inspection Application from the Building Division and a Utilities Connection Application from the Treasury Office at City Hall.

If you are conducting business within your residence and your home is located within the City's limits, you will first need to obtain a Home Occupation Use Permit (HUP) from Planning. There is a one-time filing fee of $38.81 (as of 7/1/07, adjusted for inflation every July). After you receive approval of your HUP in about 4 to 6 weeks, you must obtain a Business Tax Certificate from the City Clerk's Office before starting your business.

Day Care Facility

All day care facilities must be licensed with the State of California. A Business Tax Certificate from the City of Lompoc is required for the care of nine (9) or more children or adults. Facilities providing care for eight or more such persons are subject to review by the Planning and Building Divisions and may need a Business Tax Certificate (BTC).


No business tax payment required for:
Charitable Purposes.
Nonprofit Activities.
Exemptions as permitted under the Federal or State Constitutions or statutes (i.e. banks, credit unions, and mortgage companies that pay a seperate in-lieu fee to the state.)
Part-Time Occupations (artist, musician, stamp or coin collector, teacher of music, arts, or sciences, household servant, domestic worker, or any minor under the age of 18, adult over the age of 65, or any disabled or handicapped person; provided that the gross income does not exceed $2,625 per annum).

Business Name

Fictitious Business Name Statements (also known as DBA-Doing Business As)

Owners of a business who use a fictitious name (one other than his/her own name) for their business must clear the name through the County Clerk to ensure no on else is using it. For more information contact the Santa Barbara County Clerk's Office, 401 E. Cypress Avenue, Lompoc, CA 93436, (805) 737-7705.

Food or Perishable Products

Businesses engaged in the sale and/or preparation of food products require a Health Permit issued by the Santa Barbara County Environmental Health Services, Betteravia Government Center, 2125 S. Centerpoint Parkway, Room 333, Santa Maria, CA 93454, (805) 346-8460.

Seller's Permit

Sales or use tax may apply to your business activities. A seller's permit number is required for all persons selling tangible property which is subject to State Sales and Use Tax. You may seek written advice regarding the application of tax to your particular business by writing to State Board of Equalization, 4820 McGrath Street, Ste 260, Ventura, CA 93003 or by calling the nearest State Board of Equalization office. For general info: 1-800-400-7115 or

Alcoholic Beverages

Any commercial establishment in the proper zones wishing to sell alcoholic beverages must first obtain a permit from the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control Board by calling (805) 564-7717 or

See Important Resources and Links for additional information.