Regulated Business Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Forms available at the City Clerk's Department

For protection of the public, various types of business operations are regulated through Police, Fire, Building, Planning, and Engineering Departments, as well as the Santa Barbara County Environmental Health Services Department. Your business may or may not be regulated.

The following is a list of some of the operations, which require a "Permit" in addition to a BTC:

  • Circuses and Carnivals
  • Dances
  • Fortune Telling/Astrology
  • Itinerant Vendors
  • Massage Parlors/Technicians
  • Parades and Shows
  • Pawnbrokers
  • Secondhand Dealers
  • Security Guards and Patrol Systems
  • Solicitors
  • Taxicabs/Limousine Service
  • Private Investigators

Transient Merchants/Peddlers/Solicitors

Selling merchandise or food items from any vacant lot or temporary location requires a permit from the Planning Division. In addition, the Police Department requires a permit for both Itinerant Vendors and Solicitors unless the business already has an established place of business in the City limits. The City Clerk's Office will require a Surety Bond and a Business Tax Receipt.