Code Compliance / Neighborhood Preservation

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Did You Know?

You are required per the California Building Code (CBC) to obtain a building permit:

  • CBC 105.1 Permit Required – Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

Lompoc Municipal Code Chapter 17.140.010 defines what constitutes a public nuisance on properties located within the City of Lompoc. The Code Enforcement Division will investigate potential violations in response to a written complaint as well as violations which are clearly visible from the public right of way. Each case is considered individually. Cases involving an immediate threat to public health and safety receive priority attention. Whereas, the conditions defined in this chapter of the Lompoc Municipal Code have been in effect for many years, the Lompoc City Council recently adopted Ordinance 1584 (12) which allows for the issuance of an administrative citation if voluntary compliance cannot be achieved.

Is It a Public Nuisance Violation?

The photos shown below are a limited example of conditions which are detrimental to the community and are violations of the nuisance provisions of the Lompoc Municipal Code Chapter 17.140.010:

red house with weeds high grass
Weeds and grass in excess of one foot in height constitute an unsightly appearance, is dangerous to public safety and welfare, and is likely to harbor rats and other vermin.
overgrown pool run down house
Attractive nuisances are dangerous to children such as abandoned or broken equipment, hazardous pools, ponds and excavations, and neglected machinery. Buildings which are abandoned, boarded up, partially destroyed (broken windows, doors, dry-rot, warped), in disrepair, or constitute hazardous conditions
debris pile of yard trash
Weeds, debris, trash, lumber, junk, garbage, refuse cans, boxes, salvage material which is visible from a public street, alley or adjoining property.
garage full of boxes abandoned car
Garages rendered unable to be utilized as covered parking by excessive, hazardous storage. Abandoned, wrecked, dismantled, inoperable vehicles (cars, boats, RV, motorcycles, campers, etc.) parked or stored in front yard setbacks or other non-compliant areas on an unpaved surface.

Common Building Code Violations

  • Substandard housing or unsafe buildings
  • Illegal dwelling units, including unpermitted garage conversions
  • Unpermitted building or remodeling
  • Converted garages or rooms without completed permits

The items listed above do not encompass all that Title 24, the California State Building Code regulates including; building, electrical, plumbing, lighting, and heating, etc.

Common Land Use and Sign Ordinance Violations

  • Overgrown weeds/grass over 1 foot in height
  • Maintenance of Landscaping
  • Storage of trash, debris, appliances or household items in public view
  • Abandoned or inoperable vehicles (including boats, RV, motorcycles, campers) stored on private property in public view
  • Vehicles, boats, trailers, and motorhomes parked/stored in required setback on an unpaved surface
  • Elimination of required parking
  • Unpermitted or illegal signs
  • Building without a permit
  • Fence height and location
  • Sub-standard housing
  • Home occupation violations
  • Sign Ordinance Violations
  • Livestock or poultry at residence
  • Noxious Odors
  • Accessory structures not in the required setbacks, i.e. in the front yard

How Do I File a Complaint?

Please provide as much information as possible. The reporting party must provide their name, address and contact email and phone number. The information will be kept confidential. However, should this complaint become part of a criminal and/or civil court case, the information may be provided to the City Attorney or any such other appropriate authority as part of their investigation.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer