The Commercial Façade Rebate is a cash rebate of up to a maximum of $5,000. These funds are not required to be repaid. Funds can be used to make improvements to commercial properties at a reduced out of pocket expense to the owner.
Cash rebates for materials, fixtures, supplies, and labor in conjunction with exterior improvements approved by the City will be reimbursed at 50%, up to a maximum of $5,000. Professional, architectural, and City permit fees may be included in the total façade improvement costs. Rebates will be made after improvements are completed. Receipt of the rebate is subject to an inspection by City staff and the submission of complete documentation of project costs, including invoices and/or contracts, the applicant's canceled checks or receipts showing the costs have been paid in full, copies of building permits, and all contractors' waivers of liens (labor and materials releases).
If a business owner would like to do a little more to their commercial building, the Commercial Façade Loan is an unsecured loan of up to $15,000 with no interest. With flexible repayment terms, no required security and no loan fees, this is a no cost source of financing to enhance commercial property. Providing a facelift for commercial properties can:
- Enhance efforts to market vacant spaces and attract new businesses and customers.
- Stimulate new, private investment and economic growth.
- Increase security features and reduce the perception of crime.
An unsecured, zero-interest loan of up to $15,000 can be used separately or in conjunction with the rebate program. Loan funds may not be used as matching funds for the rebate. The dollar amount borrowed will be amortized and repaid over a term determined by the amount borrowed as described in table below:
|2 years||$0 - $5,000|
|3 years||$5,001 - $10,000|
|4 years||$10,001 - $15,000|
Eligible Applicants/Service Area
Owners and tenants of commercial property located in the City of Lompoc, are eligible to apply for assistance under the following circumstances:
- The business is a neighborhood business that serves an area where at least 51 percent of the residents are low and moderate income persons (L/M area), and the business is able to demonstrate the boundaries of its service area. The City will determine if the area served is an L/M area.
- Tenants of commercial property must be able to provide documentation of the property owner's consent of the improvements at the time of application. Written consent may either be in the form of a lease indicating the lessee's responsibility for property renovation and repair or documentation of the property owner's agreement to the proposed rehabilitation.
Remodeling, installation and additions to the commercial building facade are eligible for grant funds. These funds are for modification to the facade and not for normal maintenance and repair. Specific improvements the funds can be used for are: new paint, signs, awnings, shutters, doors, windows, siding, fencing, driveway pavers, landscaping, exterior lighting and modifications, parking lot improvements, streetscaping including brickwork, statues, fountains, and pedestrian features. In addition, repairs that shall correct code violations. Scope of work will require division approval prior to funding.
For more information or questions, please contact Jasmine McGinty at 805-875-8226 or email@example.com
Labor costs are subject to review and approval by City staff. Since the funding for this program is provided through the Federal Community Development Block Grant Program administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), any project in excess of $2,000 requires compliance with Federal Labor Standards Provisions and the payment of Davis-Bacon prevailing wages. Before obtaining bids for any work to be done under the program, please contact the Community Development Division to obtain a copy of the applicable current wage schedule and Federal Labor Standards.
All improvements must conform with the City Building Codes and Planning requirements. Participants' proposals will be subject to design review by the City. Project improvements started prior to City approval will not be eligible.